Why Givens? Our team members have diverse backgrounds and experiences but unite with their passion for serving older adults in Western North Carolina. A focus on residents, helping them feel at home and vital to the community, is what sets our work environment and communities apart.
We also have some pretty sweet benefits:
- $1,000 sign-on bonus (paid out in increments over the first six months)
- Three major medical health insurance plans to choose from with dental and vision coverage at no additional cost
- Free basic coverage for full-time team members!
- Free short-term disability, life insurance, & access to our employee assistance program
- On-sight meal & uniform allowances
- Paid time off (PTO) w/ immediate access to 5 PTO days before your 90 days!
- Referral bonus program
- 403(b) retirement plan with up to a 6% matching
- Educational assistance & professional development opportunities
- Flexible spending account (FSA) & access to AFLAC & Prudential Life insurance products
- Over 5 miles of hiking trails to explore and access to our brand new fitness center and pool
- Fast-growing nonprofit with tons of advancement opportunities
- Plus so much more!
The Dining Services Team at Givens Estates, a nationally recognized nonprofit life plan community (continuing care retirement community), is hiring a full-time Chef de partie for our brand new dining venue, Market + Craft. The Schedule for position is typically 5 days a week, 6am - 4:30pm or 10am - 6:30pm.
We are a creative team that is passionate about using fresh, local, and sustainable products to bring high-quality food to our community. Some of our partnerships include Carolina Bison in Leicester, Dry Ridge Farms in Mars Hill, Sunburst trout farms in Canton, & Joey's Bagels in Hendersonville. The Line Cook will have a unique opportunity to channel their knowledge, skills, ambition, and experience in a meaningful way that directly impacts the lives of our residents and team members.
What you'll do:
- In collaboration with the executive sous chef, review menus, recipes, and prep lists to determine type and quantities of menu items to be prepared
- Plan cooking schedule so that the finished product reaches the consumer at peak quality
- Cook and present all food for residents, guests, and team members in Market + Craft through the Production kitchen operations
What you'll need:
- Six months experience in quantity food service
- Be thoroughly familiar with foods and preparation methods
- Knowledge of proper methods and cooking temperatures for best utilization in yield of meats and other foods
- Ability to time cooking of vegetables so that their nutritional quality, flavor, and appearance are preserved
- Ability to accurately estimate quantities of food needed and yields from bulk foods
- Knowledge of and an appreciation for principles and requirements of sanitation and safety in handling food and equipment
- High School or equivalent is preferred
- Additional Technical or Vocational desirable but not necessary
Compensation: $18.50 per hour plus our fantastic benefits package and $1,000 sign-on bonus!
Still curious about what Givens is all about? It's kind of a long story, but at our core, we're a senior housing organization with a lot of heart and committed to providing housing to seniors of all socioeconomic backgrounds across WNC. We already have four communities (two life plan communities and two affordable communities) with plans for many more in the coming years.